Liposuction is an option to remove small bulges that won't budge despite trying exercising and controlled diet. It will help to improve your body shape. The areas most commonly treated include the hips, abdomen, thighs and buttocks and face. Liposuction does not remove cellulite, only fat. Being a mother of 3, I have my concern on lose tummy fats and skin after pregnancy and not shaking it off after 6 years of my last childbirth. Since I had the intention of balancing my breast since my last breast implant, the doctors at ACME suggested liposuction to best solve my concern.
Common to both Liposuction and LipoSculpture (referred to body contoured liposuction) is the basic principle that neither is a means of weight control. Instead, both are intended to rid the body of stubborn fat deposits that will not respond to diet and exercise. The most common LipoSculpture for men are the “love handle” bulges, while women frequently opt to have “saddlebags” on the hips removed, along with slimming of the thighs, the undersides of upper arms, and tummies.
Fat deposits are removed by very thin metal tubes interested into the body though small incisions. A syringe or medical suction pump removes the fat by creating an area of negative pressure. Once the fat is removed, it can be transferred to another part of the body which for my case is my right breast.
A seroma is a collection lymph fluid within a body cavity, and it can form after liposuction leaves empty “spaces” in the body where fat used to be. Compression garment will squeeze empty cavities together so that they do not allow fluid to become trapped and seromas to form.
Risks and Limitations
It is important to remember that any form of Liposuction is a surgical procedure and subject to the usual problems and complications that accompany surgery. Following liposuction, some patients may experience dimpling, lumpiness, numbness, scarring, discoloration, or sagging skin in the treated area. Follow-up surgery may be needed to correct these problems. More serious complications associated with Liposuction include blood clots, infection, excessive fluid loss, pulmonary embolism, and drug overdose.
Just in case if you wonder if the fat cells will be removed permanently, well if you gain weight after the procedure, it usually will not concentrate in the area that was treated. However, you need to note that liposuction will not prevent you from regaining weight. To maintain after liposuction, you must follow a proper diet and exercise plan.
How is the procedure done?
Three key points of liposuction process which was carried out on me:
1. Tumescent injection and wait for 15-30 minutes
The word “tumescent” means swollen and firm. By injecting a large volume of very dilute lidocaine (local anesthetic) and epinephrine (capillary constrictor) into subcutaneous fat, the targeted tissue becomes swollen and firm, or tumescent. The tumescent liposuction technique is a method that provides local anesthesia to large volumes of subcutaneous fat and thus permits liposuction totally by local anesthesia. The tumescent liposuction technique eliminates both the need for general anesthesia and need for IV narcotics and sedatives. The tumescent technique for liposuction 1) provides local anesthesia, 2) constricts capillaries and prevents surgical blood loss 3) provides fluid to the body by subcutaneous injection so that no IV fluids are needed.
2. UAL(Ultrasound-assisted Liposuction) to areas that need contour
The Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction (UAL), you are injected with tumescent fluid. This mix is saline solution (water and salt) with a local anesthetic and epinephrine. This will help you to avoid extra fluid loss during fat extraction. Next, the ultrasonic waves are initiated, depending on whether you are receiving external UAL or internal UAL, and a high-pitched sound begins to liquefy the fat inside the specific body part until it loosens up enough to be sucked out of the body. This can either be done via a machine emitting the sound-waves into your fat tissue from outside the body (external UAL,) or via the cannula offering ultrasonic waves loosening fat within the body (internal UAL.)
The Tools used for Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction (UAL)
In this type of liposculpting, a small hollow tube made out of stainless steel (cannula) is booked up to a machine that offers a strong vacuum once inserted. The fat gets extracted through the cannula from the small incisions made in the skin. By sucking the fat out of the fatty tissue/layers, a thinner fat layer remains after surgery. Rapid recovery is the goal since tumescent liposuction uses the smallest of cannulas. Anesthesia will numb the area and constrict your blood vessels so there is less bruising and bleeding, allowing for recovery to be speedier and more enjoyable. The vibrating tip of the cannula acts as a probe and is placed (in internal UAL) under the skin to extract fat and alters the skin’s collagen, causing skin tightening. The ultrasound probe does require larger insertion points than the cannula in other types of liposuction, which maybe a deterrent for certain patients. "
3. PAL(Power-assisted Liposuction) to remove fats from body
Fat cells are manipulated by using a thin cannula to suction fat while the power is supplied by an electric motor or air which is compressed. This produces a rapid in-and-out movement or a spinning rotation of the cannula.
Body Contoured Liposuction using Double wave method has the following advantages:
The wound is small and hidden in a place that is not easy to see
The use of skilled technology can significantly shorten the operation time
Reduce postoperative swelling of the bruises or waves of the situation
Postoperative recovery is relatively short
Only for fat, reduce tissue damage
Micro-heat can be conducive to postoperative skin compact
Extraction of high active fat more backfill
Easy to remove the fibrous tissue and more parts
Secondary liposuction, a good choice for man and women
Some Information if you are thinking of doing liposuction or body contoured liposuction:
1. 8 hours before surgery fasting (including boiling water, drinks).
2. Pre-and postoperative two weeks to avoid irritating food (including tobacco, wine, coffee).
3. Have family history, medication history, chronic diseases and any diseases please inform in advance.
4. Complete the physician to designate the inspection.
5. Surgical parts of hair shaving.
1. Wear comfortable, loose clothing.
2. No makeup, do not wear wigs, valuables, jewelry and so on.
1. Postoperative physicians will prescribe oral antibiotics, painkillers, swelling drugs.
2. After about 7-10 days can be used to clean the body to clean the way to keep the wound clean, dry, to avoid infection.
3. After surgery may have placed drainage tube, so surgical wounds try not to touch the water until the drainage tube removal.
4. Avoid the wound by the sun, until the wound completely healed.
5. Body sculpting loosened, can return to normal activities, but still need to avoid strenuous activities, so as not to affect the wound healing, such as: weightlifting, lifting weights.
1. If you have surgery on your knees, thighs, buttocks, or abdomen, be sure to wear bodyclothes, pants (which can provide you with physical support and comfort), twenty weeks before the first 2-3 weeks, , At night to remove (depending on the swelling of the situation, in the consultation by the doctor to judge), at least for more than 2 months. Neck at least 3-5 days to maintain twenty-four hours, the best to 2 weeks.
2. After surgery, in order to shorten the postoperative recovery period, may be placed in a small drainage tube. Drainage tube will be discharged into the injection of anesthetic liquid, emulsified fat and bloody water, please follow the instructions of the nursing staff, regularly replace the absorbent thick cotton pad.
3. Effective massage is conducive to the operation of the recovery process, 1-2 weeks after the proposed massage with massage (depending on the swelling of the situation, in the consultation by the doctor to judge), can reduce postoperative swelling discomfort, in order to facilitate the recovery process.
1. Do not drive at least two days after general anesthesia or intravenous general anesthesia.
2. After a month to avoid irritating food. (Tobacco, wine, coffee)
※ alcohol will expand the blood vessels, may increase postoperative bleeding, and alcohol may cause postoperative pain medication failure.
※ nicotine will lead to vascular contraction, resulting in poor wound healing.
3. If you have nausea after surgery, eat soda cake to stabilize your stomach. If your stomach feels normal, you can slowly start eating liquid and light food, and finally restore the general diet.
4. Regular return visit and with the measurement size.
5. Tissue repair healing may have a sense of itching, pat lightly on the wound to reduce discomfort.
※ During the recovery period, the operation site may be itching, tight feeling, bruises, pain, hardening and tingling feeling, is part of the recovery process, about 1 week began to subside, need to be patient